Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Private Equity Forum

One part of the MBA that I really enjoy is the opportunity to participate in 'forums' such as the one I attended today. This one was the annual 'Private Equity Forum'. Before coming for my MBA, I had never heard of this industry. Initially I was facinated with the way people were making huge money here. And now I want to be a part of it. Which obviously doesn't mean I will get a job in this industry, which as I understand it, is an uphill task. The professionals in private Equity have many years of experience as consultants with industry and functional experience, and are experts in M&A.

This is the third year this annual event was held. The panelists this year discussed very interesting topics:
  • Have Private Equity returns reached their peak?
  • How the PE philosophy differs from other investment funds?
  • Private Equity in emerging markets
  • Is the public image of Private Equity fair?

I especially enjoyed the discussion on Private Equity in Emerging Markets, as I see that an opportunity area. A number of big Private Equity firms are now entering emerging markets such as India and China.

At Oxford, an event to attend for sure.

No comments: