Thursday, March 01, 2007

RFID

Two great speakers in a row. Today I attended a talk by Mr Dick Cantwell, Chairman of EPCGlobal, which is leading the development of industry-driven standards for the Electronic Product Code™ (EPC) to support the use of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID). Mr cantwell was with Gillette, and came to P&G with the merger of the two firms.

He talked about how RFID has transformed the supply chain in the retain industry. Empty shelfs and thefts were costing the companies billions of dollars annualy, and the RFID technology has been the apt solution.

It was an interesting concept, and I see huge applications of this technology. I was fortunate to accompany Mr Cantwell for lunch, along with some other students. We discussed some of the applications further, even thye application of this technology to track customer preferences. Although the company is alert to not get into any privacy violation, I am convinced that the day is not far when we walk into a Walmart and the computer already has our preferences listed out, has a special offer for my anniversary, and even recommends some new products basis my past buying preferences.

1 comment:

Okie said...

It's all very "Minority Report". I like the concept, but think it could get annoying at times. As long as it has an "opt-out" or "temporary off" switch, I'm all for it. (Assuming of course they also address privacy risks)