Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Day 1 of Week 0 ... What ??

What the hell do you mean by week 0 ?? If this is Zero, then what was last week, when we had those career services sessions and the IT sessions ...... Minus 1 I guess.

Anyways, for the benefit of those who may not be aware .. this is Week 0 ... classes begin next week, which is Week 1 and we have our exams for this term in Week 10. Right now that somehow seems like a long way... There is no Tax for dreaming, right ?

To sum up Day 1.. It was exciting.... I got to see my cllassmates in full strength for the first time. It truly is a diverse bunch representing 41 countries.

We were introduced to the Dean of SBS, the MBA Dean, and many more ...... We had a presentation by the security folks, which was ok ..... I was in the first row, and could not even afford to wink... Not to forget the presentation on Examinations... which was kind of scary !

We had the first round of introductions..... Having done dramatics all my life, I am not the kinds to get a stage fright. But considering that we were being recorded did make me a bit uneasy.

We also had individual portrait photographs taken by a professional photographer, and we have been promised that they will not be morphed, and there is no likelihood of them appearing on any of the (in)famous websites.

But, for me the highlight of the day was the speech by Mr Kevin Sharer, CEO of AMGEN, which is the world’s largest biotech company..... and growing pretty fast. I must admit that I had previously not heard of Amgen ..... my poor General Knowledge to be blamed here I guess. Mr Sharer was extremely impressive, very witty, and gave us some great mantras for effective leadership.

I was one of the very few who skipped the Suits and ties for the day. So I had to scram after the speech to get appropriately dressed for the Reception.

The enthusiastic batch, not satisfied with just wine, headed off to 'The Living Room' at The Oxford castle.

I take this week as the start of our MBA Roller Coaster ride ....We are right now creeping our way to the top... and from Week 1 ... its gonna be a really Topsy Turvy ride till the very end !!!

No comments: