Thursday, October 26, 2006

Electives For Sale !!

Today some of the Professors pitched their respectives subjects to the MBA batch. They tried their best to make us believe that the subject they were teaching was most pertinent for an MBA.

When I walked into the hall, I had 90% made up my mind of opting for Finance II and Strategy. However, as always there was a twist in the tale.

The first one was Finance II: Very articulate, a good sense of humor... did not take me long to be convinced even further.

Second one was Organisational Analysis II: After my sleepy state in DEM, which seems like a pre-cursor to this elective, I had decided not to even consider this one. However, the paper seems to be a good match between Strategy and Implementation, and the course structure is extremely practical, with class presentations included. I decided to consider it.

Next was Macroeconomics: The Professor here did not seem half as animated as my dear Macro Professor from college (Dr D.K.Sethi). He did not refrain from advising us that Macroeconomics is the favourite subject of discussion during Investment Banking interviews, and would be more useful than NPV and IRR (Finance Stuff for the uninformed) .. Although I am keen on the subject, I was not convinced entirely. But it is still under sonsideration.

Then came Strategy II: This turned out to be a bit different from what I expected.... it was more focussed towards a budding entrepreneu wishing to start a techie firm .. or the like.

The last pitch was by Prof. Linda Scott, who will be teaching a new paper - Marketing, Culture & Society. This is her first year at Said.... but she appeared very confident of herself, and was the only one who dared to mention that this would be a toughie. (the Finance professor was the other extreme mentioning that anybody with a GMAT of 400 would pass Finance II ... Now that's a big joke considering majority of the class is already struggling with the first assignment of Finance I )

I really liked the content of the last paper. I will onl have to consider the fact that there is another core marketing paper next term.

Net net ... I am pretty confused on the second Elective to take .... Will probably check the Core papers of Term 2 and Electives of Term three and then decide.

I better get back to my Finance Assignment ...... I am looking at a future in this paper after all ... He He !!!!

No comments: