Sunday, October 22, 2006

Diwali In Oxford

Well this was my first Diwali outside India ..... and I could very well feel the difference. missed family and the 'patakas' ..... but I will be wrong to say it was dull. We had a great time.

On Friday, we had a Diwali BOP at St Anthony colleg, which was organised by the Oxford Indian Society ..... The place was completely packed with desis and students of other nationalities. There were these particular two guys i found very amusing..... they had loosely tied turbans ..... more 'Osama like' than Indian. :)

We finally got back around 1:30am ...... worked on the DEM assignment till 3:30am ... and then went to school Saturday morning for some 'catching up' studies.

A number of us met up at Ravi & Shweta's place for dinner (Yummy Thai food) .... I got a little feel of Diwali at their place as there were some 'Diyas' (earthen lamps for thos with poor GK)... And ...... I also ate Ben & Jerry's icecream ..... 'Chunky Monkey' and 'Peace of Cake' .... these are innovative flavours of B&J ..... and we all concluded that 'Ben & Jerry's does have a sustainable competitive advantage'.

And we are not done yet with Diwali celebrations. As I am publishing this, we have a number of us meeting at the Castle Mill (that's where I stay) common room for a 'Pot Luck' ...... yummy Indian food.

So I better run along ... as good India food is a scare commodity in this part of the world :)

No comments: